Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Craft Time

Bird is getting to the age where she has a bit more interest and patience for "real" crafts. Yesterday, a unique shop on State Street in Madison lured us in again. Anthology, a newer boutique near the Children's Museum end of State Street, combines unique handcrafted art for sale with a few do-it-yourself art projects. The window's bright colors, vintage fabrics, and creativity caught our eye. The shop was filled with bags, cards, magnets, colorful unique quilts, beautiful papers, books, handcrafted toys, jewelry, and other delights. I spotted many items made from salvaged fabrics and papers. I picked up a handmade fabric coffee cozy for when I forget my reusable mugs. A table near the back offered materials and instructions to make your own tissue paper flowers for an insanely reasonable fee. Sprout picked out a "wallet" (change purse) made of an old capri sun juice packet. Bird and I couldn't resist this cute kit from "Artgirlz". We've never been so quick to finish a project! We started on it shortly after getting home yesterday, and finished it up this morning. Bird was more than willing to attempt some sewing as we appliqued a big "E" on the front (yes it's true, "Bird" is not her given name); and happily strung beads despite a frustration here and there. I think the thought of the finished project made it worth it for her. I can't believe we didn't have a single meltdown, as she's been more prone to tantrums lately. There's a little flower garden started on the other side of the bag, but Bird was so overcome with the present success of the bag that she wanted to call it quits for now. I'm totally fine with that. It's nice to have a project that looks so great and was so easy to do. This allowed Bird to be creative and still have an incredible finished piece, so we'll be looking for similar projects. Overall, I think this was a big success, and I hope we'll be doing more crafting like it in the future. Anthology will be a good source. I highly recommend that you check it out if you're in the area!

4 comments:

womynrev said...

oh GOLLY, how CUTE!

you're such a great mama, you know.

:)
kemp

denise said...

Nice! I have been wanting to visit that new store -- we just rarely ever get downtown. I have always made my own coffee cozies and made a bunch for gifts last year - I like that fabric!

Mama Randa Morning Glory said...

oh the bag turned out so good!
Those tantrum phases sure are annoying, aren't they? We've been going through that too.

Barb said...

Love the sewing projects. Would you be interested in submitting this to the Charlotte Mason Blog Carnival? We are always looking for entries that show handicrafts done by children.

Here's the link:
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_2378.html

Thanks so much,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom