Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Swallowtail Caterpillars

Our fennel went nuts last year and ended up dropping seeds all over our herb spiral. I cleaned out the spiral this spring as I was putting in new plants, but even with a few trips back through, we've had dozens of little fennel plants all over the place. Thankfully, I'm not that vicious of a weeder, because all of these plants have attracted the notice of swallowtail butterfly caterpillars! We counted 4 big fat 'pillars this evening. Pretty fun since the kids just attended a library presentation about bugs. It was especially nice to see them since at the moment our yard feels like anything but a nature preserve. The flooding that has closed I-94 in Wisconsin is bad enough that we were looking at weeks of closure, so they are building a crossover to get 2 lanes of cross-directional traffic across the "good" bridge. All that is happening directly across from our bedroom window. So the kids have had fun with the construction site right in our backyard, but we got this nice reminder of what progress we've made in building up backyard habitat in the midst of a new subdivision. We're looking forward to watching them develop into beautiful butterflies. Bird turns 5 tomorrow: Happy Birthday, Bird!

2 comments:

Lu said...

Happy Birthday to Bell! Can't wait to see you guys!

julie said...

Hi Eco-Mama,
Just found your blog and had to laugh. Baby robins and swallowtail caterpillars have taken up my family's life recently. I just posted a photo of a caterpillar sitting on my dill (a few miles down the road they are on my friend's parsley). Check out the photo on my (new) blog:
http://queenofthemeadow.blogspot.com
julie