Thursday, October 05, 2006

Belief-O-Matic

Beliefnet.com has an intriguing quiz, the Belief-O-Matic, that asks a series of questions and then matches your response with the faith they fit. There are questions about the nature of God, morality, the afterlife, and more, and you can even rate each question on how important it is to you. Someone posted the link to this quiz on the Weight Watchers Veggie Board this week, and it was neat to see all of the results, and people's responses to them. I thought that the quiz was well done, and wasn't at all surprised with my results. I consider myself a Unitarian Universalist, and if pressed for details, I'll say I'm a UU with a Buddhist bent, and many Pagan beliefs as well. My top 10 Faiths were:

1. Unitarian Universalism(100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (93%)
4. New Age (92%)
5. Mahayana Buddhism (86%)
6. Secular Humanism (82%)
7. Theravada Buddhism (82%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants(81%)
9. Taoism (76%)
10. Reform Judaism (67%)

I've only recently heard about the similarities between Quakers and Unitarian Universalists. Today I heard an interview with someone who attended a Quaker day-school, and was suprised at her descriptions of some of their services. They were much more in-line with my thinking than the Christian way that I had thought of them in the past. The interview was with the Authors of "The Faith Club". They are three women in New York City, who got together after September 11th with the intent of writing a children's book about how their faiths (Jewish, Muslim, Christian) were similar, but ended up finding a real need to hash out the prejudices, sterotypes, and real diferences before they could do anything else. It sounds amazing, and I look forward to reading it. They also have a website which encourages people to start their own Faith Clubs. People reaching out, getting to the root of our differences, acknowledging our similarities, and trying to achieve peace. Imagine that.

No comments: